Jan 14, 2014

Yao Xiao Commissioned to Create Original Artwork for The 2nd Annual Asian Burlesque Spectacular 2014 Poster!

I am thrilled to announce that the very accomplished, NYC-based, illustrator and artist Yao Xiao has agreed to create original artwork for our 2nd Annual Asian Burlesque Spectacular happening in mid-May. I've long been a big fan of her work having seen her at many Dr. Sketchy's events here and at my shows as well. Her Instagram and Tumblr are full of awe-inspiring work that she is making. I don't think she ever sleeps because she seems to be constantly creating beautiful art into the wee hours of the night. I've always been a big fan of graphic novels especially artists like Adrien Tomine (Optic Nerve) and that's what drew me to Yao's work. The complexity in texture and also the narrative. You can make pretty pictures but to have pretty pictures that have a personality and a story that pulls you right in - its comparable to painting.

Here are some quick picks I pulled from her pages to introduce to you how awesome she is! I'm sure she's probably like 23 years old too. Lol. Can't wait to share what she will make for us. I am sure it'll be spectacular just like our line-up which I will announce hopefully by the end of this week. All I can say now is that it's a brand new line-up with new faces and only 2 performers out of 12 are from NYC! Yeah!!!!

Yao's latest work is the cover for Katy Perry's single "Dark Horse" and even Perez Hilton is a fan!
 http://perezhilton.com/2014-01-09-dark-horse-cover-art-katy-perry-single-featuring-juicy-j-prism#sthash.9lWBnIwV.dpbs






Yao created the cover to Wall Street Journal's end of year special ‘Best of 2013’
Her work in Entertainment Weekly August 2013 for the Video Music Awards - http://www.yaoxiaoart.com/106462/blog




























Find out more about Yao's work on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/yaoxiaoart

Her web site: http://www.yaoxiaoart.com/

Last year's poster art work


No comments:

Post a Comment