Jan 21, 2013

Newish Classic-style Burlesque Acts

This is a picture of a new act that I am in love with! It's like Chinese Flamenco and I use a song called "Tamacun" by Rodrigo & Gabriela, a Mexican musical duo who specialize in playing fast, rhythmic acoustic guitars, and finish it off with "Sway" by Xavier Cougat. I use yellow silk fans for this act - which I really, really love working with.

Photo by Gabi Porter at "Drunken Dragon Nights" Macao Trading Company
The pants are covered from waist to hem with yellow fringe that I painstakingly sewed on by hand while watching "King of Queens" (my zone-out show that I hate but watch anyway). It shakes like crazy with the slightly motion. Every time I've performed this act the crowd starts clapping along.

Photo by Gabi Porter at "Drunken Dragon Nights" Macao Trading Company
Another act that is super classic and very flexible in terms of "approachability" is this white gown/fan combo. The gown is designed and made by Jamie Von Stratton in Seattle who have made me 5 commissioned dresses in total now, and we are working on a 6th one this year. This act gets a lot of play because it is popular during winter for "winter wonderland" themes, classic themes because of the big fans, corporate & wedding receptions like it as well because it is a long act (6 minutes) and it is "friendly" (ie: no hard grinding or inserting or pulling out anything). I use a song called "Creole Nights" by Dr. Michael White from New Orleans. I made the fans myself using Ms. Copperteal's acrylic base kit that I bought at BHoF last year. I LOVE MAKING FANS.

Photo by Jeffrey Grossman

Photo by Sam Polcer

"Les Fleurs de Shanghai" at Duane Park

Another act that I consider "classic with a modern twist" is this one to Reverend Horton Heat's "Loaded Gun". There's a lot of classic elements such as gloves, fur stole, garter belt, but also a lot of vinyl and strappy one-sies which I am VERY FOND of and own quite a few. I just can't get enough of them!


Photo by Mark Williams at Room 69, Hotel Chantelle

Photo by Mark Williams at Room 69, Hotel Chantelle

Photo by Mark Williams at Room 69, Hotel Chantelle



No comments:

Post a Comment